Breast reduction, also known as reduction mammoplasty, is a procedure that removes excess breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin to help achieve a breast size that is more comfortable and proportional to the rest of the body.
Why Choose a Breast Reduction?
Not only can overly large breasts cause extreme discomfort; they can also cause health, emotional, and self-image problems. These are the main reasons why women seek out breast reduction surgery. This procedure is often done in combination with liposuction for enhanced results.
A Life-Changing Procedure
Because overly large breasts can lower quality of life for many women, a breast reduction can be truly life-changing. Commonplace activities such as exercising and sleeping become much more comfortable and manageable, and a great amount of pain is eliminated. At Beautify at AMS in Chicago, breast reduction surgeries are performed by surgeons with the intention to improve the quality of life of their patients.
Getting Ready for Breast Reduction Surgery
- If you’ll be due for a mammogram soon, make sure to schedule it before surgery because you can’t have a mammogram done for six months after a breast reduction.
- If you smoke, you’ll need to stop at least one month before surgery. In addition, you’ll need to stop using nicotine completely—including patches or gum—for two weeks prior to surgery.
- Arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery, and for someone to help you for at least 24 hours.
- Stop using NSAIDs and blood thinners for two weeks before surgery.
- On the morning of your surgery, shower with antibacterial soap.
- Ensure that your home is well prepared for your return from surgery. Have any prescriptions filled beforehand. You’ll also need items such as ice packs, clean towels and washcloths, medical gauze, button-up blouses, and any other medications.
- Do not wear deodorant, powder, lotion, makeup, nail polish, or fake nails to the surgery.
On the day of your breast reduction, your skin will be cleansed and marked to help guide your surgeon. We will then administer general anesthesia. Next, the surgeon will make an incision by using a circular pattern around the areola. Although the incision lines will leave a scar, they will be well concealed. Our surgeons do everything that they can to make the incision minimal. Using the incision that was made, excess fat and skin will be removed and the remaining tissue will be lifted and re-contoured until the breasts have an improved, smaller appearance. For some cases, the nipple and areola will also be re-positioned. (This will be discussed during your consultation.) The incisions will then be closed with sutures. Most patients go down 1-2 breast sizes, but depending on your specific aesthetic goals and body, even more may be reduced. Again, this will be discussed during your consultation.
The majority of breast reduction patients return to work and regular activities roughly seven days following the surgery, although tightness, bruising of the chest, stiffness, soreness, and possibly a rash may be experienced in the treated area.
You can expect to wear a surgical bra for two weeks, and then you’ll begin wearing a soft sports bra. Underwire bras should be avoided for four months. Some patients also need to wear drains to collect fluid during recovery. (If drains will be needed, we will let you know during your consultation.)
Avoid strenuous physical activities for six weeks, and don’t lift anything over a pound for two weeks. Don’t put any pressure on your incisions, and do your best to sleep upright for two weeks.
Early results can be seen a few weeks after surgery, and finalized results will be settled at approximately three months. Patients who undergo a breast reduction find that clothing fits better; neck, shoulder, and back pain are greatly improved; exercising is much easier, and daily life in general is much more comfortable.
Breast Reduction Surgery at Beautify at AMS
If you’re ready to improve your comfort and quality of life with a breast reduction at Chicago’s premier plastic surgery center, we encourage you to contact us to schedule a consultation. Our goal is to deliver the outcome you want while also providing you with a great experience. Here, you are treated like family—we want you to look in the mirror and love what you see. Beautify at AMS is a full-range medical spa and board-certified plastic surgery center serving the Chicago area and beyond. Surgeries are performed at our state-of-the-art, accredited surgical center by our plastic surgeons from the University of Illinois at Chicago. We are a results-driven practice focused on delivering your aesthetic goals. To learn more, please contact us today.
Candidates for a Breast Reduction
If you’re in the Chicago area and you’re considering a breast reduction, we would love to help. Women who make great patients for a breast reduction are those who:
- Suffer pain (neck, back, shoulders, etc.) due to overly large breasts
- Have poor self-image due to overly large breasts
- Are uncomfortable doing certain physical activities or tasks due to overly large breasts
- Find their breasts to be uncomfortable
- Find their breasts to be embarrassing
- Have difficulty finding clothing that fits because of their breasts
- Have breasts that are fully developed
- Have completed breastfeeding
- Are non-smokers in overall good health
- Fully understand the surgery and recovery process
- Have realistic expectations for what a breast reduction can do